We all wish to live a long and happy life. By now, you might have heard that in order to live longer, you need to follow a well-balanced diet and have active lifestyle. But did you know that your sleeping habits also have huge effects on the number of years that you will be able to celebrate your birthday? Yes! You’ve read that right; the two actually has direct correlation.
In one study with over 21,000 participants, experts found out that people who sleep less than seven hours a night can increase their risk of death by around 17 to 24%. This is also true for those who love to sleep more than 8 hours a night. They also discovered that sleep medications can increase mortality. With these findings in mind, it is safe to say that the best number of hours to sleep is between 7 to 8 hours every night.
In order to understand the correlation even more, we will be listing for you some of the side effects of sleep deprivation:
-According to research, if you always sleep less than seven hours a night, you are putting yourself at risk of developing diabetes. People who have sleepless nights tend to binge eat. When this happens, you will surely have problems controlling your weight. One of the things tht can help you is folding mattress.
-You also become more susceptible to developing stomach ulcers.
-When you are sleep-deprived, your corticosterone, which is also known as the stress hormone, increases. This will result to a decrease in the production of new brain cells.
-You will also be at risk of developing heart diseases. You can also expect your blood pressure to increase.
-You may experience premature signs of aging. The rationale behind this is the slower growth hormone production. What you need to remember is that this hormone is produced during deep sleep.
-Sleep deprivation may also exacerbate a number of chronic diseases such as gastrointestinal and kidney disorders, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis and even Cancer.
-You will be at risk of developing depression. In one study, researchers found out that resolving insomnia also helped decreased symptoms of depression.
These are just some of the effects of sleep deprivation. Now, we will be tackling some simple, but very useful tips that may help you achieve the restful and relaxing sleep that you have always wanted.
- First of all, it is important to ensure that you have the bed for you. To be more specific, a comfortable mattress is really a must. One important thing to remember is that there are different types of mattresses available in the market today and it is vital to get one that best suits your need. Some of the most common types include innerspring, natural fiber, memory foam, latex and hybrid. These are available in various degrees of firmness. According to experts, the best one, especially for those with chronic back pain is medium firm memory foam. Although, of course, it will still depend on your preference. Do your research first to check the pros and cons of each type and then visit a nearby warehouse to see your choice personally. There are some stores that will let you use their mattress for a specific duration before you buy it so that you can be 100% that it is the right one for you. Do not be afraid to ask about this, after-all, mattresses are considered investments, so take all the time that you need in choosing.
- Avoid using mobile phones, tables and the likes when you are about to go to bed. Electric devices actually emit blue light that will prevent you from falling asleep because it tricks your brain into thinking that it is still daytime.
- Develop a good sleep routine. As much as possible, help your natural body clock by following scheduled sleeping and waking times.
- As much as possible, make your room conducive for sleeping. You can do this by choosing relaxing wall paints, using heavy and dark curtains and setting the temperature of the room anywhere between 60 to 67 degrees Fahrenheit. They are said to be the best temperatures for optimal sleep.
- Do not eat huge meals near your bedtime. If you had a heavy meal right before you retire to your bed, the body will compensate by working continuously. Instead of resting, it will work double time to digest the food you have eaten.
- You should also avoid consuming food and drinks that are high in caffeine such as soda, coffee and chocolate.
- As much as possible limit the water that you drink before bedtime if you do not want your sleep to be interrupted by bathroom breaks all throughout the night.
Again, sleep is very important. Sleep can affect not only the quality of life, but its longevity as well. It is therefore important to ensure that you will not be sleep deprived especially for long periods of time. To help you, just follow the tips we have listed above. They may be simple, but we can assure you that they will help you a lot.